ITI In Craftsman Food Production General
Craftsmen Food Production General is a professional food making/production trade. The duration of the course is one year with two semesters. During the course students are introduced to various techniques of food making and its preservation. The course covers general aspects of food making. There are many ITIs in the country providing trade due to its importance in today’s food making industries. They are also taught of kitchen organisation-responsibilities and functions of each category of staff working in kitchen inter-relation between the staff of kitchen with bakery and other departments. Trade is career orienting in nature which opens many jobs in various sectors.
- Students should have a keen interest in food and cooking; strong communication and leadership skills.
- They should have the ability to work under pressure; high standards of cleanliness and hygiene and the ability to do several tasks at once.
- One more skill they are required to have is to practice his or her cooking techniques on a continual basis as great cooking comes with many years of practice.
- They should possess creativity and imagination for food presentation; the ability to work as part of a team and good organisation skills.
- Knowledge about kitchen Equipment and familiarization of their handing in the kitchen.
- Safety Rules for using different types of knives.
- Foundation ingredients and their properties and characteristics.
- Layout of the Kitchen. Name the different sections of Kitchen Functions of movable and immovable equipment in the kitchen.
- Aims and objects of Cooking Food.
- Cookery & Bakery, Terms (Culinary Terms).
- Classification of Raw Materials (a) Perishable (b) Non-perishable/Movements in mixing.
- Kitchen Organisation-Responsibilities and functions of each category of staff working in kitchen Inter-relation between the Staff of kitchen with Bakery and other departments.
- Seasoning & Flavouring Agents (Brief description).
- Accompaniments & Garnishes.
- Courses of Menu-Knowledge of Menu Planning, Recipe Writing and standardization of Menu.
- Stocks, Soups & Sauces- a) Roux Blanch, Roux Blonde, Roux Brun. b) Sauces and their derivatives (c) Gravies
- Salads, Salad Dressings, Sandwiches and Canapes.
- Methods of Cooking Food with special reference to Vegetable Soups, Cheese Meat, Chicken and Eggs.
- Portion Control/Quality Control (briefly to be discussed).
- Invalid Cookery/Rechauffe of food.
- Preservation of Food (to be taught point-wise only)/Food Storage.
- Meat Cookery – Dissection – Butchery, Larder Work. Knowledge of identification and use of various cuts of the following in the Indian & Continental Cookery Fish / Mutton / Pork / Beef / Chicken / Lamb.
- Knowledge about identification and selection characteristics of- (a) Vegetables (b) Potatoes (c) Different types of Fruits (d) Others (e) Eggs.
- Nutrition-Basic knowledge only.
- Hygiene – (a) Hygiene of Food Handler (b) Fire Hazards (c) Contents of First Aid (d) Common Kitchen Pests (e) Safety.
- Fuel -Elementary knowledge about fuels.
- (a) Inventory of Stores (b) How to prepare requisitions of stores for daily needs (c) Catering Calculations–simple exercises relating to quantities and costs of Raw Materials.
- Knowledge about recipe of 30 International dishes-Soups, Fish, Entree, Joint (Main Course), Savory, Desserts, Puddings etc.
- Indian/Continental-Recipes of the following may be given to students as part of their training.
(A) – (i) Soup a1Oignon.
(iv) Minest Rone.
(vi) Hungarian Goulash.
(vii) American Choder.(B) – (i) Stromate’e IL’ Anglais.
(ii) Filet De Stromate’e-Meuniere.
(iii) Stromattee A 1 Florentine.
(iv) Lobster Thermidor.
(v) Filet De Pomfret A’L ‘orly(C) – (i) Omelette Espagnole.
(ii) Spaghetti Bolognaise.
(iii) Chicken Vol-Av-Vent.
(iv) Chicken Parisienne.(D) – (i) Chicken A ‘Lakiev
(ii) Poulet Saute Maryland.
(iii) Poulet Cordon-Bleu.
(iv) Wiener Schinitze.
(E) (i) Mutton Rogan Josh
(ii) Tandoori Chicken
(iii) Butter Chicken
(iv) Fish Curry
(v) Chicken Vindaloo
(vi) Chicken Pasanda Curry
(vii) Chicken Schaswallik
(viii) Malai Kofta Curry
(ix) Dal Makhani
(xi) Rashmi Pulao
(xiii) Murg Musallam.
(F) Sweet Dishes- (i) Burfee.
(iii) Gulab Jamun.
(viii) Banana Fritter.
(x) Caramel Custard.
(xi) Rice Pudding.
(xii) Fruit Pudding.
Bakery / Confectionery recipes –
(a) Bread/Bread Roll / Bread Sticks / Biscuits
(b) Sponge Cake / Swiss Roll / Short Crust Paste /Jam Tart/Lemon Curd Tart
(c) Choux Paste & Puff Paste / Chocolate Ecclair / Cream Horns / Vegetable Patties / Pineapple pastry / Fruit Cakes / Black Forest.
(A) Continental Cuisine-
- Soups Horsdoevres (Appetizer).
- Invalid Cookery.
- Breakfast dishes.
- Basics of Dessert/Pudding (Indian & Continental) & Savoury preparations.
(B) Indian Cuisine –
- Rice preparations.
- Wheat dishes.
- Fish, meat and chicken / Lamb / Pork preparations.
- Milk preparations.
- Vegetable dishes-curries.
- Indian Sweets.
- Dals, Raita, Chutney.
- Farinaceous Products (Spaghetti & Macroni).
- Tandoori preparations.
(C) Bakery / Confectionery products –
- Bread Roll.
- Sponge Cake.
- Short Paste.
Eligibility & Admissions
- Passed 10th Class exam under 10+2 system of education or its equivalent.
- Performa for admission may be obtained from the respective State Directorate dealing with Craftsmen Training Scheme or from the Principals of the concerned Industrial Training Institutes/ centers conducting training programme under Craftsmen Training Scheme.
- Diploma in Food Production.
- Diploma in Food Production & Culinary Arts.
- Diploma in Food Production, Bakery & Confectionery.
- Students have so many career opportunities in India in kitchens of 5 star and deluxe hotels, fight catering, cruise liners, restaurants, banquets, food courts, railways, hospitals and multinational hospitality companies.
- They have also good job opportunities in foreign countries such as Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, America, Middle East, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc.
- They can also go for further higher Diploma and Bachelor Degree courses for enhancing their overall qualifications.
- Apart from above everything, self-employment through entrepreneurship is also good option for them.
Craftsmen Food Production (General) Trade Job Types
- Team Operative – Production
- Skilled Knife Operative.
- Food Safety Associate.
- Cleaning Operative.
- Kitchen Team Member.
- Sandwich Maker.