ITI In Dairying
Dairying is a milk production development vocational trade. The duration of the course is one year with two semesters. Trade subjects matter is about that how to train manpower for Dairy development activities in rural and urban sectors; impart knowledge for production of clean milk and manufacture of Dairy products; prepare young entrepreneur for self employment through dairying and develop facilities for production and sale of milk and milk products. Trade is very important from career point of view both in rural and urban areas as it provides jobs in big scale to rural peoples. As Indian people mostly engaged in agriculture sector and so rearing cattle for them is easy; it can also provide them an additional job/money.
- Students should be patient, adaptable and practical; motivated and able to follow a regular routine.
- Students should be hard workers as they have to do so many field jobs along with handling heavy machines.
- They are also required to be up-to-dated about milk development and production related topics in the country.
- They should be able to work well independently and as part of a team along with good at communicating with and managing people.
- Visit to a Dairy Farm.
- Recognition of different breeds of cows and buffaloes. External anatomy of cow and buffalo.
- Care of new born calf/handling of new Born calf, its sanitation, cutting and sealing of naval cord.
- Drawing of sketch of floor plan for Different animal houses.
- Grooming & Washing of animals. Cleaning & sanitation of sheds.
- Observing signs of health in dairy animals. Observing and identifying symptoms of certain specific diseases in animals. Pressing of wounds.
- Identification of various feeds, fodders, feed supplements and additives in different seasons.
- Identification of animal feed adulterants by physical methods. Grinding and mixing of feed ingredients
- Calculation of feed and fodder requirements for various categories of diary animals.
- Visits to feed laboratory and cattle Feed manufacturing units. Feeding and watering of calves, heifers, pregnant & lactating cows and bulls.
- Visit to markets for assessing availability and knowing prices of feed ingredients.
- Cleaning and fumigation of feed stores. Storing of prepared feed.
- Mixing of feed ingredients. Packaging of mineral and concentrate mixture storing of prepared feed
- Mechanical maintenance.
- Threading on pipes. Simple joints by using T-bends, elbow, coupler, reduction of pipe, bending of pipe, copper tube fitting practice, use of bending and seating tools. Pneumatic construction. Simple job on soldering and brazing.
- Different types of Valves.
- Electrical maintenance.
- Formation of simple electrical circuit, series circuit and parallel circuit. Fixing and connecting electrical switches, holders, fuses, plug sockets on T.W. board and testing.
- Care, maintenance and running of AC single and poly phase motor, starters and transformers.
- Reading and control of steam pressure temperature and stem flow. Working in steam boiler and economizer.
- Refrigeration and air conditioning.
- Dismantling of different types of compressors. Checking and servicing of components. Assembly and testing.
- Servicing air cooled condenser. Checking leak repair and testing. Servicing evaporator, removal of oil, checking, leak repair and testing.
- Checking automatic and thermostatic expansion switches, valves and capillary tube. Servicing and testing.
- Oil charging to compressor, installing compressor, electric wiring of refrigeration system. Testing leak in the refrigeration system. Effect of over charge and under charge.
- Operation and servicing cold store cooling system. Control and instrument. Repair and maintenance of refrigerator and deep freezer. Bottle coolers and water coolers.
- Calibration of different types of pressure recorder. Maintenance and reconditioning of different types of thermometers and thermocouples.
- Chemical quality of milk. Reception, weighment and sampling of milk.
- Platform tests for milk. Sampling of milk and milk products for microbiological and chemical analysis.
- Preservation of milk samples for Chemical analysis, Sensory evaluation of milk.
- Study of an immersion cooler, plate chiller, surface cooler and farm milk cooler. Study of Filters & clarifiers of milk and various parts of separator.
- Different SNF test for milk. Determination of specific gravity of milk by lactometer. Determination of titratable acidity of milk
- Identification and counting of different types of micro organism. Presumptive test.
- Sediment test, Clot-on-boiling test. (COB) Methyl blue reduction (MBR) test.
- Separation, Standardization and Homogenization of milk. Pasteurization of milk by HTST and LTLT methods.
- Packaging of milk in bottles, cans and sachets. Preparation of Toned and Double Toned milk. Preparation of flavoured milk and chocolate milk. Preparation of sterilized milk by batch methods. Preparation of butter.
- Handling of Audio-Visual Aids. Case study of a milk Co-operative Society and Dairy entrepreneur.
Eligibility & Admissions
- Passed 10th Class Examination under 10+2 System of Education.
- Performa for admission may be obtained from the respective State Directorate dealing with Craftsmen Training Scheme or from the Principals of the concerned Industrial Training Institutes/ centers conducting training programme under Craftsmen Training Scheme.
- Advanced Diploma in Dairy Science and Technology.
- Diploma in Dairy Technology.
- M.Sc (Dairy Science).
- B.E. (Dairy Technology).
- M.Sc. (Dairy Chemistry).
- M.Sc. (Dairy Engineering).
- M.Sc. (Dairy Microbiology).
- M.Sc. (Dairy Technology).
- M.Tech. (Dairy Chemistry).
- M.Tech. (Dairy Microbiology).
- Ph.D. (Dairy Chemistry).
- Ph.D. (Dairy Microbiology).
Dairy jobs in India are available at large scale. There are more than 400 dairy plants in the country. These plants are involved in production, procurement, storage, processing and distribution of dairy products. To run all these activities a huge man force is required. As a result both the public and the private sector offer openings for dairy technologists. Dairy products are also exported and this makes the industry a foreign exchange earner. Candidates can find jobs in dairy farms, cooperatives, rural banks, milk product processing and manufacturing industries. Research and development is another growing area, crucial for the dairy industry. Teaching is another convenient employment option. One can also establish his own dairying business. Indian Council for Agricultural Research, National Dairy Development Board, National Dairy Research Institute, Anand Milk Union Ltd, Agriculture Universities are among the major employers in India.
Some Dairy Job Types
- Dairy Scientists or Dairy Technologists.
- Dairy Researcher.
- Dairy Engineers.
- Dairying Entrepreneur.
- Dairy Consultants.
- Dairy Pharmacist.
- Production Executive.
- Dairy Extension Officer.
- Dairy Farms.
- Research and Development Agencies.
- Dairy Equipment Manufacturers.
- Quality Control Department.
- Ice Cream units.
- Milk Unions.
- Dairy Boards.
- Milk Cooperatives.
- Milk Product Processing Plants.
- Milk Products Manufacturing Industries.