ITI Course in Turner
Turner is a mechanical engineering vocational trade. The duration of trade is two years with four semesters of six months each. During trade course, students are introduced to different topics such as how to manufacture metal components and assemble them to construct tools, industrial machinery, and machine components; perform the most efficient order of processes required for specific projects; measure each large and small component; identify potential problems by understanding machine specifications and drawings before the production process. The trade is career providing in nature that opens many bright opportunities in various fields.
- Students should have good knowledge of appropriate use of equipments and repair tools; able to delegate duties and goods mathematics skills.
- They should be responsible & patient; have problem-solving skills; good manual dexterity.
- They should possess mechanical skills; able to manage time effectively.
- Importance of trade training, List of tools & Machinery used in the trade. Health & Safety: Introduction to safety equipments and their uses. Introduction of first aid, operation of Electrical mains. Occupational Safety & Health Importance of housekeeping & good shop floor practices.
- Identification of tools & equipments as per desired specifications for marking & sawing (Hand tools , Fitting tools & Measuring tools) Selection of material as per application Visual inspection of raw material for rusting, scaling, corrosion etc.
- Filing practice on plain surfaces, right angle by filing. Use of calipers and scale measurement.
- Filing at right angle, marking & hack sawing.
- Marking operation on flat & round job. Drilling operation.
- Threading with the help of taps and dies.
- Getting to know the lathe with its main components, lever positions and various lubrication points as well.
- Mounting of chuck on machine spindle and unloading in various system – faceplate, 3-jaw chuck, 4-jaw chuck.
- Turning of round stock on 4-jaw independent chuck. Use of 3-jaw self centering chuck as well.
- Grinding of R.H. and L.H., side cutting tools, checking of angles with tools angle gauge / bevel protractor.
- Facing operation to correct length, center drilling operation,. Grinding of “V” tools for threading of Metric 60 degree threads with guage.
- Parallel turning, step turning, practice measurement with scale and outside calliper to 0.5 mm. accuracy.
- Step turning practice within 0.5 mm with SQ, shoulder, U/cut on OD. Drilling on Lathe-step drilling, drill grinding practice.
- Boring practice-Plain & step, internal recessing. Reaming in lathe using solid and adjustable reamer.
- Checking alignment of lathe centers. Mounting job in between centers.
- Turning practice-between centers on mandrel (Gear blanks). Fitting of dissimilar materials- M.S. in brass, aluminium, in cast iron etc. Knurling practice in lathe (Diamond, straight, helical & square).
- Male taper turning by compound slide swivelling. Use of sine bar.
- Male and female taper turning by taper turning attachment / compound slide practice.
- Eccentric marking practice. Eccentric turning. Use of Vernier height Gauge and V-block. Eccentric boring.
- Practice square block turning using 4-jaw chuck.
- Screw thread cutting (B.S.W) external R/H & L/H, checking of thread by using screw thread gauge, fitting of male and female parts.
- Screw thread cutting (B.S.W) internal R/H & L/H.
- Fitting of male & female threaded components (BSW).
- Screw thread cutting (External) metric thread- tool grinding.
- Screw thread (Internal) metric & threading tool grinding.
- Fitting of male and female thread components (Metric).
- Fitting of male and female square threaded components.
- Acme threads cutting (male & female) & tool grinding.
- Fitting of male and female threaded components.
- Buttress threads cutting (male & female) & tool grinding. Fitting of male & female threaded components.
- Project Work.
- Introduction to various components produced on lathe. Forging practice (lathe tool) of different shapes, heat treatment of tools.
- Form turning practice by hand. Grinding of various shape of chip breaker on tool.
- Taper turning by taper turning attachment, Morse taper- different number.
- Internal taper turning by taper turning attachment / cross slide. Taper matching exercise (application of Prussian blue, Plug gauge).
- Turning and boring practice on CI (preferable) or steel & tip brazing on shank.
- Turning at high speed using tungsten carbide tools including throw-away tips.
- Practice of negative rake tool on non-ferrous metal.
- Periodical lubrication procedure on lathe, testing of accuracy of alignment.
- Holding and truing of Crankshaft –single throw (Desirable).
- Turning of long shaft using steady (within 0.1 mm).
- Cutting metric threads on inch, lead screw and inch threads on Metric Lead Screw.
- Use of attachments on lathe for different operations.
- Advanced eccentric boring (position boring using tool maker’s button).
- Boring and stepped boring (within +/-0.05 mm).
- Continuation of thread cutting. Fractional odd & even threads.
- Multiple thread cutting (B.S.W.) external & internal.
- Multiple threads cutting 60 deg. (external & internal).
- Multi-start thread cutting Acme form (Male & Female).
- Practice of conventional turning from industrial drawing.
- Multi-start thread cutting, square form (Male & Female) Multiple threads cutting work (External). Cutting of helical grooves in bearing and bushes (Oil groove).
- Project work.
- Setting and turning operation involving face and angle plate.
- Turning & boring of split bearing – (using boring bar and fixture).
- Thread on taper surface (Vee form).
- Cutting of Helical grooves in bearings and bushes(oil grooves).
- Demo of parts of CNC machine – control switches, console buttons and machines specifications.
- CNC part programming with simple exercises and various programming codes. Practice on CNC machine simulator.
- CNC turning center operation in various modes: jog, single block, auto, MDI, edit, etc. Program entry. Setting of tool offsets, entry of tool nose radius and orientation.
- Machining parts on CNC lathe with parallel, taper, step, radius turning, grooving and threading of different pitches.
- Practice of different operations related to trade on CNC machine.
- Manufacturing & Assembly of Screw jack/vice/Box nut by performing different lathe operation.
- Prepare different types of documentation as per industrial need by different methods of recording information.
- Read a part drawing and make a process plan for turning operation.
- Practice of special operations on lathes -worm gear cutting, oil groove internal and external
- Boring on lathe using soft jaws and dial bore gauge to accuracy of +/- 0.05 mm.
- Project work.
Eligibility & Admissions
Passed 10th class examination under 10+2 system of education or its equivalent.
- Students after passing trade successfully, can work in production and manufacturing industries; automobile and allied industries.
- They should have good scope in service industries like road transportation and Railways; ship building and repair; infrastructure and defence organizations.
- They can also work in public sector industries like BHEL, BEML, NTPC, Army based workshops and Auto industry, etc and private industries in India and foreign countries.
Turner Trade Job Types
- Radial Drilling Operator.
- Quality Technician.
- C.N.C. Operator.
- Lathe Operator.
- Hydraulic Hose Crimper.