Karnataka (Govt.) Polytechnic, Mangalore was started in the year 1946 under the erstwhile Madras state government in a rented building at Pandeshwar. The polytechnic started functioning at its present campus in Kadri Hills, Mangalore from 1954. At the time of starting there were four main diploma courses of three years duration in Civil engineering, Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering and Automobile engineering. The diploma courses in Chemical engineering, Polymer technology, Electronics and Communication and Computer Science were added to the existing courses later. Institution focuses on the overall development of the students by encouraging them to participate in extracurricular activities like NCC , NSS and Sports.
Total campus area of the polytechnic is 19 acres. The institute is rendering yeomen services to the citizens of Mangalore and surrounding areas through engineering education.
The training will be in a conductive environment of safety and care taking and by a set of qualified, dedicated staff who are keen on professional development and responsive to change. It also provides opportunity and leadership in continuing education to adults in the field of technical education by the way of a Continuing Education Cell, at reasonable charges.
Karnataka Government Polytechnic, Mangalore is currently being offered in the following departments.
|Diploma in Automobile Engineering|
|Diploma in Chemical Engineering|
|Diploma in Computer Science Engineering|
|Diploma in Civil Engineering|
|Diploma in Electrical & Electronics Engineering|
|Diploma in Electronics & Communication Engineering|
|Diploma in Mechanical Engineering|
|Diploma in Polymer Technology|
Karnataka Government Polytechnic, Mangalore
We have a full-fledged college library comprising of more than 13,000 books related to general and technical education for our students. Students are provided 2 library cards for borrowing books. Students belonging to SC, ST category get the benefit of borrowing additional books. In addition to technical and non-technical books, a good number of magazines and journals are also available. Provision for reading inside the library is provided for the students to sit comfortably and study.
- Well-equipped laboratories
Karnataka Polytechnic has more than 20 laboratories set up for all branches to fulfill the needs of practical oriented diploma technical education. All laboratories are equipped with latest tools and materials to provide the practical knowledge with latest technology for students.
The polytechnic offers hostel facility for the students coming from far places. The boys hostel is situated separately near the polytechnic campus. The hostel is controlled by a warden, who is a full-time lecturer of the polytechnic. The warden is guided by the Principal. The clerical work of the hostel is being carried out by a clerical staff on part-time basis. The admission is given to any regular student of the polytechnic, preference is given to those who come from long distances.
- Sports & Games
The institute offers excellent opportunities in sports and games. There is a spacious ground used for athletics and games. Sports room is available for playing table tennis and facilities are available for indoor games. Facilities are available for playing table tennis and badminton. Polytechnic participates in the state level inter polytechnic sports meet and has excelled consistently.
- National Cadet Corps
The aims of NCC are, development of leadership quality in cadets and to create a force of disciplined and trained manpower which at a time of national emergency could be of assistance to the country. The head of the institute and ANO are the competent authority to enroll the students. NCC enrollment is made at the beginning of each academic year. Enrollment to NCC is optional. The maximum tenure in NCC is 3 years. The candidates can appear for B and C certificates examinations after two and three years after attending the camps.
- Women In Development(WID)
Women In Development Cell, KPT Mangaluru was established under CCTEK, to create a safe working environment in the college campus and for women empowerment. Aiming at intellectual and social upliftment of the female students, the cell organizes awareness programmes, guest lectures, seminars, life skill training programmes, entrepreneur training and other activities.
Objectives of WID Cell:
- To bring awareness regarding their rights and responsibilities in the society.
- To educate them in areas of health and hygiene, discipline and women laws and acts.
- To enhance self- esteem and self confidence of women students, staff and faculty.
- To improve their creative thinking, decision making and leadership abilities.
- To promote intellectual and cultural activities for overall personality development.
- To encourage their participation on an equal footing in all areas.
Activities of WID in the year 2015 -16:
- “Yoga for better living” – One month training programme on yoga was organized through WID cell to all staff members of the institute, under the guidance of Yoga maestro Yogarathna Sri. Gopalkrishna Delampady, from 04-07- 2016 to 03-08- 2016, everyday from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm. The yoga training was initiated on 04-07- 2016 by lighting the lamp. Smt. Susheela Kumari, Principal of the institute did the honors. The valediction was held on 03-08- 2016.
- Inaugural function of WID- 2016-17 was held on 23-09- 2016 in the college auditorium. Sri. Devarase Gowda, Principal in charge of the institute presided the function. Smt. Laxmi Shenoy, Professor, NITTE School of Communication was the chief guest. The inaugural ceremony was followed by two most exciting programmes. A play on “Nangeli – A woman revolutionist of Kerala” , enacted by the budding stage artists of NITTE school of Communication. The second program was by a well-known youth mentor, Sri. Nada, Maninalkuru. His organization, “ARIVU – Yuva Samvada Kendra” is committed to building sensitized and empowered youth leaders and professionals. It was an interaction session with our girls to motivate them, to make them understand the values, self respect and their selfhood.
Center for Continuing Technical Education in Karnataka (CCTEK) functions as an autonomous governing body. It contributes to technical education programs in the field of computers and information technology and other areas. The Minister of Higher Education is its Chairman and the Secretary of Higher Education is Vice Chairman. Officers of technical education department and representatives from industry and technological university are other members of the governing body. The target group comprises of community people, physically handicapped, socially backward people and women etc.
Sub centers of CCTEK at KPT is designed to meet the continuing and non-formal educational needs of local industry , business and community at large. It is housed within the polytechnic. It is headed by the CCTEK Manager. The funds generated can be used for the overall institutional development.
Karnataka Government Polytechnic, Mangalore
Karnataka Polytechnic has a full fledged placement cell working under a Placement Officer. Placement cell helps the students to get placed in reputed organizations. More companies are being approached year by year and the placements at KPT has increased over the last few years, not only in terms of number of students being offered jobs but also in terms of CTC (Cost to Company) being received.
The cell provides an opportunity for each and every student of KPT to get enrolled in to the cell by filling up the applications with relevant details. The database of the students registered for placements is furnished to prospective industries and organization to meet their specific man power requirement.
Campus interviews are arranged for all branches of KPT and the feedback obtained by the interview board is passed to HOD’s for improvement in the performance of students. We also organize “Pool Campus” for the benefit of other nearby Polytechnic students The placement cell provides training programs to improve the employability of students.
Near Indian Oil Pump, Airport Road
Kadri Hills, Kadri
Contact no.: 0824-2211636
Fax : 0824-2213580
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Various Polytechnic Courses After 10th
Submit your review