ITI in Mechanic Repair and Maintenance of Heavy Vehicles
- Students should have the ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules such as patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations as they are necessary while working.
- They also possess the handling and moving objects skills such as using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning and moving materials and manipulating things.
- They also have good communication skills as they have to communicate with supervisors, peers, or subordinates. It provides information to supervisors, co-workers and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail or in person.
- Familiarization with institute, Importance of the trade Machinery used in Trade. Types of work done by the students in the Institute-shop floor of the Institute.
- Description of safety equipment their use safety rules to be observed in an Automobiles repair shop. Accident & their causes-up keep of fire extinguishers.
- General servicing of vehicles washing, cleaning, oiling, greasing and lubrication of vehicle.
- Inspection of under carriage of vehicle.
- Removing wheels from vehicle, dismantling tyres and tubes checking puncture assembling inflating to correct pressure.
- Inspection the frame checking alignment of frame servicing of spring replacing new bushes in shackle pins changing hushes in shock absorbers.
- Removing kingpins and bushes replacing new bushes & plus after removing bushes & rings, lubrication of king pin bushes in the front, independent suspension system.
- Inspect and adjust steering linkages, after replacement of worn parts alignment of steering wheels with respect to front wheel, check and correct toe-in.
- Inspect and overhaul steering boxes adjusting steering gear backlash, and end play check and adjust toe-in, camber angles checking kingpin angle & caster angle with special gauges.
- Adjusting brake pedal play dismantling wheel break assembly cleaning and inspecting adjusting brake shoes for proper clearances, bleeding hydraulic brakes & Disk brakes.
- Removing master cylinder, dismantling cleaning and inspection of parts assembling and testing bleeding the braking system after cleaning the pipelines.
- Dismantling wheel brake assembly removing old lining & fitting new lining on the brake shoe removing, cleaning of brake drums inspecting wheel cylinders & brake drums-fitting new cups and brake hosepipes, reassembling adjusting wheel bearing ad testing adjusting all 4 wheel brakes.
- Bleeding of vacuum assisted hydraulic brakes removing & refitting of vacuum boosters-repairs to pipelines-adjusting the brakes in vacuum assisted hydraulic brakes.
- Adjusting Air brake srepair to tank unit, air compressor, wheel brake adjuster locating air leaks in the brake lines and rectifying – general maintenance and care.
- Trouble tracing in braking system of a heavy vehicle adjusting brakes and balancing all four wheel brakes, precautions to be observed while testing brakes points to be remember while preparing the vehicle for brake certificate.
- Adjusting clutch pedal play-removing gearbox and clutch assembly from Heavy Vehicle. Dismantling clutch assembly, cleaning inspecting parts.
- Removing & fitting of new pilot bearing, removing & fitting of ring gear in fly wheel relining a clutch plate checking condition of flywheel and pressure plate surface for reconditioning.
- Assembling of pressure plate adjusting the fingers checking run out of fly wheel and aligning clutch assembly with flywheel.
- Dismantling cleaning and assembling of gearshift mechanism changing oil in gear box studying gear ratios in the gear box.
- Dismantling a synchromesh gear box, cleaning, inspecting parts replacing worn out defective parts assembling & testing for correct performance identifying noises from gear boxes and rectifying.
- Removing rear brake drums and adjusting the wheel bearings in full floating rear axles & semi floating axles, replacing oil seals in rear axles.
- Project Work.
- Removing rear axle assembly from vehicle, dismantling, cleaning, inspecting parts for wear and damage, cutting packings/gaskets removing tail pinion and bearings cleaning and inspection of oilseals and bearings.
- Checking tooth contact in crown land pinion and adjusting back-lash-assembling the rear axle assembly on vehicles and testing.
- Trouble shooting in the transmission system of vehicle, detecting noises from clutch, gear box, universal joints and rear axle assembly.
- Dismantling an unserviceable engine, cleaning of parts in the engine, measuring of cylinder bore-crank pins main journals pistons studying valve-operating mechanism.
- Checking compression pressure & vacuum in a running engine of heavy vehicle dismantling the cylinder.
- Removing pistons and connecting rods from engine, dismantling, cleaning, inspecting, checking clearances installing rings and pistons pins.
- Removing connecting rod assembly, cleaning & checking bearing clearances, replacing bearing shells, setting correct clearances.
- Assembling crankshaft, main bearings, connecting rods and piston assembly in the engine, fitting cylinder head and starting the engine and tuning up engine for smooth slow speed running with the help of using torque wrench, at proper torque & sequence.
- Checking cooling system for overheating cleaning radiators, dismantling, cleaning, assembling and testing water pump, reverse flushing the system and adjusting the fan belt tension.
- Studying the lubrication oil flow system in engine, overhauling oil filters; oil pump and setting the pressure release valve for correct oil pressure maintenance and repairs in the lubrication system in engine.
- Practice in joining wires and soldering forming simple electrical circuits measuring of current, voltage & resistance cleaning and topping up of a lead acid battery testing battery with hydrometer-cell tester, connecting battery to charger.
- Studying different electrical circuits in a heavy vehicle checking loose open and short circuits.
- Removing dynamo alternators from vehicle, dismantling cleaning, checking for defects, assembling and testing for motoring action of dynamo & fitting to vehicles.
- Removing starter motor from vehicle and overhauling the starter motor testing of starter motor.
- Practice on unserviceable diesel engine-removing jammed nuts, broken studs and reconditioning damaged threaded holes-removing cylinder head connecting rods, and pistons cleaning, inspecting and refitting them.
- Practice in starting & stopping of vehicle engines, general maintenance of engines-checking oil, fuel, water levels and accessories of diesel engines. Working of each components used in CNG engine.
- Bleeding fuel lines for air locks repairing fuel leaks in the pipelines and unions cleaning of oil and air filters in diesel engines.
- Cleaning and servicing of primary fuel filters and pressure stage filters, removing feed pump dismantling cleaning, reassembling, refitting and testing the feed pump.
- Dismantling an unserviceable fuel injection pump, cleaning inspecting, studying parts and reassembling.
- Testing injectors for missing on the vehicle Removing dismantling, cleaning, inspecting replacing defective parts reassembling the injectors and testing them.
- Demonstrating retrofitting of vehicles CNG & LPG system Euro II, III, IV.
Eligibility & Admissions
Passed Class 10th Exam under 10+2 system of Education or its equivalent.
- Candidates who have good academic record can go for further higher Diploma/Degree courses as it enhances their overall qualification.
- They can have jobs in shipping and trucking industries on various designations from helping to managing.
- They can also run/open their own heavy vehicle workshop as self-employment.
Mechanic Repair & Maintenance of Heavy Vehicles Trade Job Types
- Engineering Associate.
- Technical Support Executive.
- Mechanic – Wire-line.
- Heavy Duty Mechanic.
- Dragline Operator.
- Assistant Motor Vehicles Inspector.
- Heavy Diesel Mechanic.