ITI In Vessel Navigator Marine Course
- They should be know about sea life and other sea adventures; hard worker and punctual and a team spirit.
- They should possess good Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics knowledge/skills required for this trade and job.
- They should be good at mechanical work as they have to work manually so many times during their work ob ship.
- They should have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Practical Navigation.
- Practical related to Safety and Health, Demonstration on PPE (Personal Protection Equipments) Demo on First aid and Fire safety, Use of fire extinguishers.
- The shape of the earth. Poles, equator, meridians, Parallel of latitude. Position by latitude and longitude. Bearing distance, units of measurement. Difference of latitude difference of longitude, departure, mean and middle latitude, difference of meridional parts and the relationship between them. Use of position lines with or without run.
- Fishing Gear Technology practical-i and Viva voce Onboard Training navigational Aspects and Fisheries Including Seamanship & Navigation and Viva voce.
- Basic netting – mesh bar, mesh size – stretch mesh and cross mesh (Run with the mesh and across) (25 hrs) A. Preparation for sailing, B. Watch keeping on the bridge, C. Use and maintenance of LSA & FFA, D. Fishing gear operation and maintenance.
- Net making implements – Needle and gauge (5 hrs) Viva voce The rigging of fishing vessels, methods of ascertaining proof and safe-working loads of ropes including synthetic fibre and wire ropes with and without certificates of proof loads. Rigging purchases and a knowledge of the power gained their use (5hrs).
- Basic net making – practice with trawl knot reef knot (square knot double knot etc.) (15hrs) To read understand and make use of a barometer and thermometer. The instruments supplied by the Meteorological office will be taken as standard. (2hrs) Knots, hitches and bands in common use. Seizing, rackings, rope.
- Project Work.
- Practical problems on plane, parallel and Mercator sailing (10hrs) To calculate position arrived, course, distance using Noris tables and without using tables (20 hrs) On board the vessel, Dry dock using the equipments and making report (6 hrs).
- The use of the traverse tables to obtain the position of the ship at any time, given compass courses, variation deviations and the run recorded by long or calculated by time and estimated speed, allowing for the effects of wind and current, if any (10hrs).
- Fishing gear Technology Practical-II And viva voce Starting, Transportation and finding the error of the equipment (6 hrs).
- 1. Shaping of netting by braiding, creasing, baiting (15hrs) 2.Shaping of netting by tailoring (20hrs) 3. Hanging (mounting) of netting, Top & side mounting, different Methods Hanging ratio. (10 hrs).
- VIVA VOCE Fishing Technique.
- Onboard Training Navigational Aspects and Fisheries Including Seamanship & Navigation And Viva Voce Starting procedure, watch keeping and overhauling.
- 1.Use and maintenance of LSA & FFA, 2.Navigational lights, sound signals, 3.Anchoring procedures and anchor watch, 4.Safety precaution while fishing Field visit for acquainting with the System Free hand sketch of systems.
- Viva voce: Field visit and on board training in dry dock.
- Preparations of getting under way. Duties prior to proceeding to sea, making harbour, berthing alongside quays, jetties, or other ships and securing to buoys (4hrs).
- Helm orders, conning the fishing vessel. Effects of propellers on the steering of a fishing vessel. Stopping, going astern knowledge of manoeuvring capabilities of fishing vessels including turning circles, stopping distances etc.
- The duties of the watch keeping officer at sea, at anchor and at open roads (3hrs).
- Anchors and cables: their use and stowage (3hrs).
- Knowledge of the use of all deck Appliances including emergency steering gear (2hrs) Classroom Practical Sketch a cross section of ship and mark various stability parameters.
- On board sketch the effect of the propellers and show how the fishing vessel turned in a short round.
- Plotting Free hand drawing.
- Project Work.
- To find the latitude by meridian altitude of a heavenly body. (10 hrs) Take the meridian altitude and to calculate the observed latitude and position line using nautical almanac. (10 hrs) Parts, checking the error Find the deviation, deviation card preparation (4 hrs).
- To find position line and position through which it passes from an observation of sun Or star out of the meridian. (10hrs) To work our problems by various methods such as long by chord, Intercept, ex-meridian. (10hrs) Starting, stopping, finding the error (4 Hrs).
- Fishing gear Technology Practical-III and Viva voce Taking the bearing and finding the error (4 hrs)
- Joining of netting (10hrs).
- Mending (15hrs).
- Marine Fisheries, Fish Processing Use and upkeep of sounding appliances, use and care of light and sound, signalling equipment including pyrotechnic light (3hrs).
- Onboard Training Navigational Aspects And Fisheries Including Seamanship & Navigation And Viva Voce The use and care of lifesaving Appliances including handling characteristic, construction and stowage of life-rafts.
- 1.International collision regulations, 2.Marine pollution The sue and care of fire appliance including the smoke helmet, emergency fire pump and self – contained breathing apparatus (5hrs).
- Action to be taken on discovering a fire – in port – at sea (5hrs).
- Knowledge of the precautions to be observed to prevent pollution of the marine environment (4hrs).
- The sue and care of fire appliance including the smoke helmet, emergency fire pump and self – contained breathing apparatus (5hrs).
- Project Work.
- To find the true bearing of a heavenly body, the compass error and hence the deviation of the magnetic compass of the direction of the ship’s head (5hrs).
- Fishing Gear Technology Practical-Iv And Viva Voce On board practical while fishing and prepare record (2hr).
- Splicing – rope splicing and wire rope splicing. (10hrs) On board practicals during fishing trip and make a report (4hrs) Viva voce A full knowledge of the content and application of the Collusion Regulations (25hrs).
- Fabrication of model nets (25hrs) Workshop practicals and dry dock. And prepare the observation (2hrs) Distress and pilot signals, penalties for misuse. International life-saving signals (2hrs).
- Fish Finding Equipments A knowledge of the contents of ‘Merchant Shipping Notices’ and ‘Notices to Mariners’.
- Onboard Training Navigational Aspects And Fisheries Including Seamanship & Navigation And Viva Voce The IALA system of buoyage. Precautions while using floating navigational aids. E.g. buoys, light vessel etc (4hrs).
- 1. Operation Navigational equipments and communication equipments, 2. Fishing gear operation and maintenance, 3. Safety precaution while fishing, 4. Various fishing technique followed During fishing operation The examiner may ask the candidate questions arising out of the written work. if it is deemed necessary on account of Weakness shown by the candidate.
Eligibility & Admissions
- Passed 10th class examination under 10+2 system of education with 50% marks in Mathematics & Science or its equivalent.
- Performa for admission may be obtained from the respective State Directorate dealing with Craftsmen Training Scheme or from the Principals of the concerned Industrial Training Institutes/ centers conducting training programme under Craftsmen Training Scheme.
- After passing trade, students can apply for both government and private jobs.
- After passing this, they can go for higher Diploma/Bachelor degree courses for enhancing their overall qualifications.
Vessel Navigator Trade Job Types
- Support Specialist – Growth Navigator.
- Marine Surveyor/Trainee.
- Client Support Coordinator.