It’s 2018 and the environment is suffering. The United States pulled out of the most revolutionary step humanity had taken towards the safety of the environment and that decision pushed as back again in our pursuit to live sustainably. But even with world politics finding it hard to bring about reforms there are many young,revolutionary minds working day in and day out and making their own small contribution to the cause which in a few years will make the bigger difference. These people are those who spend their lives trying to figure out different ways to make this world greener. They are the people who pursue environmental sciences as their career pledging to spend their lives making this world a better place to live in. You, of course can be the next one.
Environmental science is the study of the effects of natural and unnatural processes, and of interactions of the physical components of the planet on the environment in pursuit of solutions to the cause. It is slowly picking up pace in India after it’s boom in some western countries. There are now many courses on offer in the country from short certificate courses to hard core Phd courses.
One of the most important requirement for an environmental scientist is love for nature and the environment and the urge to want to conserve it. Other than that basic skills like build good communication skills, data handling, interpretation and interpersonal skills, problem solving and writing skills will all make a huge difference. A team member attitude will be required as most projects will be team efforts which would require a lot determination and motivation. And finally to top all that keen observation and a scientific aptitude towards the profession.
- Certificate in Environmental Studies (CES)
- Certificate Courses in Environmental Science
- Diploma in Environmental Law
- Diploma Courses in Environmental Science
- Diploma Course in Environment Protection
- Bachelor of Environmental Management
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science & water Management
- Master of Science in Environmental Management
- Master of Philosophy in Environmental Biology
- Master of Philosophy in Environmental Sciences
- Post Graduate Diploma in Environment
- Post Graduate Diploma in Environment & Sustainable Development
- Doctor of Philosophy in Earth Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Environmental Science
- Acharya N G Ranga Agricultural University
- Acharya Nagarjuna University
- All Saint’s College
- Ananda Chandra College of Commerce
- Andhra University College of Science & Technology, Visakhapatnam
- Assam University, School of Environmental Science
- Asutosh College, Kolkata
- Awadhesh Pratap Singh University
- Baba Farid Institute of Technology
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar University, Lucknow
There are numerous job prospects that courses in environmental science opens up. Graduates can also opt for teaching jobs in universities and colleges. Environmental scientists are engaged in research activities in private and public sector institutions. Many graduates are employed in media sector as environmental journalists.Scientists who are working in government sector can start earning in the range of Rs. 12,000 to Rs 18,000 per month. Candidates with a postgraduate degree can earn initially within the range of Rs. 35000 to Rs. 50000 and those with a Ph.D degree can earn in between Rs. 50000 – Rs. 75000. A licensed engineer can expect a salary of Rs.1 lakh per month.